Friday, September 23, 2011

it's in you to give


I have this blogging slash facebook friend who donated blood last month with a couple of girlfriends. They donated and then they went for dinner. Doesn't that sound awesome? I think it sounds like a really good way to do something great for mankind and also have a girls night out.

Who doesn't love to do great things for mankind and then go out with the girls?? This, my friends, is what we call a no brainer.

Do good. Eat with friends. No brainer.

It got me to thinking. Thinking that I haven't done anything great for mankind in a long time. And then I started thinking about how 8 years ago this coming November I woke up with a terrible stomach ache. I was in agony. I had the chills and the sweats and the shakes and I thought that for sure I had the worst case of the flu in the history of people having the flu.

I stumbled from the couch to the toilet for hours. I was dizzy and barely coherent. I was so sick the man offered to stay home from work to take care of me.

Do you know how sick someone has to be for him to do that?

At death's door sick. Which, as it turned out, was where I was.

See I was pregnant but didn't know. It was an ectopic pregnancy and it had ruptured in the night. I was bleeding inside my body.

By the time the doctors figured this out, which was many hours later, I had lost 75% of my blood and needed a transfusion. I received 5 units of blood that day.

I have always been grateful that there was so much blood right there to give me.

I do believe that giving back is something I need to do and now I can. Better late than never.

On November 4th I will joining Sami in donation and dinner out in Airdrie. We'd love it if many, many women showed up to participate in this event.

Did you know that one donation can save three lives? Me either.

If you are interested in any part of this activity, whether it be donation and dinner, or donation only, or if you can't donate, which we realize is the situation for some, and want to come for dinner, we'd love the support. You can email me at cddabels@telus.net and we can go from there.

Please, think about it. Tell your friends. Let's make this night great and save some lives.




P.S. Sign up online to become a stem cell donor too! The process is easy and only requires a swabbing of your mouth. I did it in September of 2010. Click HERE to read more about One Match.


5 comments:

  1. I think it's a wonderful idea...I'm so scared to donate blood though :O I'll give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a truly fantastic idea. I'm going to organize something like this in Lethbridge as soon as I'm able to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I'm in. Maybe my blood pressure will even be high enough that night to donate! Either way I will cheer you on and eat good food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give blood every time they come to our area for a blood drive. I wish everyone understood how important it is. If I was there in Calgary then I would be in for sure. I'll have to check when our next blood drive is around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BECKY-- Organize your own group of Moms and do it in your area! Donate & Dine .

    www.peekthruourwindow.com

    ReplyDelete