Sunday, September 11, 2011

on this day.....

Ten years ago today I was asleep when the man came into our room and gently woke me. He said, "A couple of planes just flew into the world trade centre."

To which I responded, "What?"

"Some planes just flew into the world trade centre."

"Where is the world trade centre? What are you talking about?"

"New York City. You know, the big towers."

"I don't understand. What are you saying?"

"I was watching the news just now because a plane had flown into one of the two towers and then while I was watching another plane flew into the other one."

"Well........ stop. What??.........Why??........ Who??.......... I still don't understand. What happened? Was anyone hurt?"

Yes, I actually asked if anyone was hurt. Like most others who were just hearing it for the first time I couldn't wrap my head around what was being said. It made no sense to me. At all.

"Yes, people were hurt. Planes flew into buildings. Planes with people in them flew into buildings with people in them."

Two planes, two buildings. That doesn't sound like a random plane crash. "What happened?"

"It was a terrorist attack."

And this was how my day started, 10 years ago. I didn't know anyone personally who died that day. It wasn't even until much later that night that I actually believed what was happening was real. That the news reporters were telling the truth. That the footage playing over and over on the tv wasn't a clip of some horrific movie designed to scare the pants off me.

Planes crashed all morning. People died all day. Yet I went about my business hopeful that it wasn't as bad as it seemed like it might be.

Denial.

This can't be real. It just can't. No one would do something like that. No one.

It was real.

It did happen.

I do remember.

I am so sorry.

Still.

2 comments:

  1. This is a perfect description of the day. Although, it was me calling my husband telling him about what I had just heard. I still remember the disbelief of the radio announcer as he read the news coming in to him.

    I had just started a new job at the Airport (prof. building). It was a scary place to be that day. For the rest of the week it was strange to wander through the completely empty airport.

    Of course our concern for the world quickly narrowed as our oldest (and only at the time) was rushed to Children's with a life threatening blood disorder. So when I remember this day I also remember that we were very close to losing our baby girl.

    And now to add to the emotions I will always remember the little boy who came home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was real.
    It did happen.
    I do remember.
    I am so sorry.
    Still.
    Sums it up for me totally Catherine. I wrote about my experience of 9-11 not long ago. I felt like I was watching the end unravel in front of me on tv. I stayed up late last night watching a doco that some french guys did about the New York no.1 fire dept. It was compelling and still utterly shocking viewing. Thanks for your 14 or so last words - so succinct, yet perfect for describing how I feel too.

    ReplyDelete