Monday, June 6, 2011

the skinny on stay-cations

Mon May 30 4.1 on couch to 10k program = 4.06 miles
Tues May 31 35 min powerwalk 1.88 miles
Wed June 1 4.2 on couch to 10k = 3.05 miles


So here's the problem. I'm an idiot. I let sugar sweet talk me. It beguiled me with its wicked ways. Day after day it was slipping in through the crack between my lips. A little here, a little there. I was sleeping great but everyday was a gamble and everyday I took the bet. For whatever reason I allowed the gambling to continue knowing full well the gambler is an addict.

I should be arrested and thrown into the sugar enabling clink!

I was getting my exercise in last week and feeling a little off kilter. I wasn't eating well and therefore felt the need to exercise like crazy but I was feeling icky so it was hard. A vicious cycle, you know? I knew it was because I forgot what fruit was but remembered all to well who the cookie was. And the cupcake. Tuesday night I woke just after 4 and tossed and turned. Uh oh, I thought. Get it together you moron, before it's too late. Wednesday I ate lots of sugar. Why?? Well now.... that is just a really superb question.

Wednesday night I woke at 4:08 and did not go back to sleep at all. Thursday I ate 2 Crave cupcakes. What is wrong with me?Thursday night I took 4 melatonin and went to sleep. I woke at 2:30 am and was done for. "No more sleep for you!" (that was for all you Seinfeld lovers and I clearly changed a word.....)

Anyway, Friday I was down right ticked off at myself so I quit the sugar right then and there. I didn't want to though because it was the beginning of the man's and my little stay-cation. You know..... where I ship the kids off for 48 hours and enjoy my own home with my own man. It was just like being newlyweds only better.

* wink wink *

I wanted to eat sugar all weekend, which is why I didn't bother giving it up during the past week. And then I had to decide if I wanted to eat garbage or sleep.

No brainer. Apparently, after being awake for 24 hours this is a no brainer. Until then, though, I can't make this decision to save my life.... or my sleep.

Hi, my name is Catherine and today I celebrate 3 days sugar sober.

I finally just stopped hearing my heart beating last night. And I slept. My heart really hates the sugar. Really really despises it.

I have googled and googled and googled some more anything I can find out about sugar and insomnia. I have been only slightly satisfied with what I have found. It just doesn't seem real to me. It doesn't seem possible that anyone can have such a delicate reaction to sugar. I feel l like I might be making it up. And then I eat it for days on end and I stop sleeping. I definitely am not making that up at 4 o'clock in the morning.

Dear sugar,

I can't see you anymore. It isn't you, it's me. Actually it's you and me. We are no good together.

Yours sadly,

Catherine

It is a very wretched thing. (If I didn't have a thing against sideways punctuation faces I would insert the sideways sad face right here.)

Good bye old friend.

Oh............ and stay-cations are the B.O.M.B!

'nuff said. (sideways winky face)

1 comment: