Tuesday, May 21, 2013

i am awesome at holiday mondays. pictorial evidence included

Yesterday was a holiday. Victoria Day, to be precise. This means nothing except that all the kids were home from school while I was trying to do a major assignment. I set the whole day aside to do this project because I was pretty sure I was going to need it. I gave the children free reign on the computer and the X-Box.

Have at 'er, zombie children. I'll see you on the other side.

Let me tell you about this class. It's called Professional and Technical Communication, or something like that. Anyway, it is horrifically boring and so not my thing. I found the first two three hour classes coma inducing. Class one was lecture. Class two was exam (previously mentioned on this here blog) and class three, which was to be today, was first major assignment. A visual critique.

This is what brings me here today. So, I go to where the assignment is posted to see what I need to do for it. The prof is nothing if not extremely detail oriented. She has so much detail written in what she wants to see it takes hours just to decipher her lawyer/English major/university professor lingo. I decide to print off the assignment so I can read and re- read it in my thinking chair.







See how wrinkly that chair is getting? I think a lot.

So back to this deliciously exciting story...I print off the assignment. It is 5 pages long.



FIVE PAGES LONG.

Now, if you'll be so kind as to read what it says beside length of the assignment.



Yep. 750 words. Single spaced. Which is a page and a half. Or maybe two pages, if you have all the rigmarole at the top of page one.

So let's recap. To explain a 1.5-2 page assignment it took the prof 5 pages, SINGLE spaced, to do that.

This is so unbelievably asinine to me that I was forced to go and check my degree requirements to see if, in fact, I do have to take this course. I thought I did, but it's always wise, at my age, to check and double check stuff because I tend to recreate things in my mind that are simply not true. And low and behold, this class is one of many I can choose from.

So KAPOWIE!!! Off to the online student centre I go to drop this dumb class that is making me so unhappy. I list my text book on kijiji and within minutes it's sold. And all of a sudden I am as free as a bird for the rest of the day. The rest of the week actually.

I ask the children what they would like to do and they looked at me with their zombie eyes and said, "Uhhhhh, play on the computer, obviously. YOU SAID WE COULD PLAY ALL DAY!!"

Then I decided I would like to walk around the mall but the man wanted to come so we waited for him. He got home, showered and we headed off to the mall. Half way there the man announced he did not have his wallet.

"Well, when you're around I don't even bring mine," replied I.

So we did the giant, time sucking loopdy loop to get home and retrieve finances to pay for dinner. We arrived at the mall at 5:41 and were gathering food in the food fair when we were informed the mall was closing in 15 minutes because of this holiday I have already mentioned.

Well, of course it is. Huh? Am I new here? How did I not realize that? This getting old and not bright stuff is exhausting.

And then I had terrible guilt that my children did not see the light of day on Victoria Day so I went to bed to end it as promptly as I could.

Come back tomorrow and I will tell you a story that is actually a good story.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I took that class two summers ago. It was excruciatingly boring but thankfully over quickly. I had guilt every time I left my kids to their own devices to attend class. blech.

    ReplyDelete