Friday, May 23, 2014

in the news...

As I sit here at my desk pondering the many ways I can potentially procrastinate on what I am supposed to be doing, which is homework, I start scrolling through the CNN news. Because, although that is part of my homework, it is also extraordinarly interesting. Babies are falling from the sky and coups are being had. It is all very fascinating and anxiety inducing. I am also listening to music, but I shouldn't be because it makes me all ADD-like and jittery and then I dance and stuff and nothing gets done.

Nothing is getting done here people. Nothing, I say.

I have two spring classes and I have never taken two spring classes before therefore I have no idea what taking two spring classes is like. Is it too much? Is it enough? I am overwhelmed? Am I completely ahead of the game? I have no idea what I am. I do homework all the time and yet I have no idea if I am ahead or behind. And, before I even know it it will all be over!

Poof.

I love spring.

One of my classes is about Propaganda and Persuasion and I find it most exhilarating. The prof is this kooky fella who looks just like one of my older brothers. It's disconcerting. He used the word kerflaffle the other day. Which isn't even a word, and we all know it. But I have nothing but the utmost respect for a university educated human being who has the cojones to not only make up words but then use them in a lecture.

He gave us this overwhelming assignment and I am….overwhelmed by it. Or I was until I sat down to figure it out and got it done. Just like that.

We have to watch the news. Watch the news!! I don't watch the news. I don't read the news. I don't even know what news is.

I ran out of Diet Pepsi. Now that is news. Or is it?

See, I have no idea. Anyway, we have to pick four news outlets and compare how they present the same story. One has to be the BBC, one has to be strictly Canadian, one has be American and one has to be non North American. We have to watch the news, we can't just read the website, and then put together a presentation for the class describing the differences/similarities etc….

Now if you're a news watcher this is probably nothing, but for someone like me I was all "What? the What??? WHAAAAAA?!?!"

I didn't know what to do.

But I pulled myself together, and got all serious-like and brave about life and it's international news happenings. It's all good. It was actually really easy. And thank-you Thailand, your recent coup really helped a sister out.

And now, I am an expert news watcher. And I should mention this assignment isn't due until June 2 at the very earliest. So we'll go with "ahead of the game" on this one.

Also, I need this. How bad I need this might be news worthy. I swear it is. Call the press.



Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I would have a hard time with that assignment too. I just don't watch the news (though I can tell you....all news outlets spin it differently. Watching Fox News vs BBC...whoa). Also, I love that chair and now I want it too. There's the persuasion part of your class for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 23, 2014

    Which brother?

    ReplyDelete