Sunday, June 13, 2010

weekend update

I have reached a whole new level of tired. One I haven't experienced since Jack was a baby 10 years ago and I didn't sleep for a year. Now that's tired.

I wanted to just lay around and veg all weekend and for the most part I did but Saturday morning I was obligated to take part in Footstock with my two oldest kids.
When I registered us months ago I had every intention of training for it and beating my time from last year but life got in the way and June has been consumed with the reno. I stopped training and focused on other more pressing issues. Like not dying financially.

I signed up Cicely and Jack to run it as well. Cicely trained. Jack did not. He's only ten, I figured he'd just do his best and then he could say he ran a 10K.... just for the fun of it. He was supposed to run it with a friend but that friend didn't register in time so Jack asked me to stay with him. No problem, I thought, I haven't trained either so we'll just go it slow and see how it goes.

We had a plan. We talked about it lots. Jack was nervous. Ten seconds into the race he was itching just to get on with it. He didn't want to stay with me, he just wanted to go. Go, I said. I'll catch up with you when you burn yourself out. I never saw him again.

As I crossed the finish line an hour and 21 minutes later (5 minutes worse than last year) I saw them waiting for me. How did you do I asked? Cicely said she did it in an hour and 3. Wow! That's great, I told her. You beat your personal best by a minute. I looked at Jack........

58 minutes, he said.

WHAT?????? Are you kidding me? I looked back at Cicely. She said he passed her shortly into it and never saw him again! WHAT?????? Are you kidding me?

He said he ran for a bit with an older lady who kept telling him he was doing so well. She came up to me after and told me she couldn't believe it that she was going to get beat by a 10 year old. Oh to be 10 and to weigh 88 pounds. I guess they glide above ground. Her official time was 1:03:34, she came in third for her age group and his was 57:52. Unreal.

Me, on the other hand...... different story. I'm not a runner. In fact, I can walk faster than I can run. I was thinking, as I chased my curvy shadow all along the river, that if I had power walked it I may have had a better time!

All in all........


................not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning.

This weekend my kids are my heros.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go Jack! He's a natural. I'm envious. I'm not a natural. I have to work really hard at it, to be just average. Love it, though!

    You did great, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jack, Cicely and Cathering! You are all so very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete