Thursday, February 3, 2011

fave food

When I was exploding pregnant with my third kid this couple at church invited us over for dinner. I thought it was strange that a young, childless couple would want our company and with me as big as a house. Who knew how much I could eat? It was very brave of them. Plus, I thought the man part of that couple might be too much for me, I didn't really want to go. But, it was tons of fun and the food was yummy. Perfect for the young family. If you're reading this Jill, tell Brian that we loved him from that moment on and he was merely misunderstood at the time.

The Thornes are dear to us. And we love their Mexican Chicken.

Mexican Chicken:
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cups corn chips
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg taco seasoning
1/2 cup milk
2 cups cheddar cheese

Cut chicken up into cubes and place in a 9x13 baking dish. Mix together soup, 1 1/2 cup cheese, milk and seasoning mix. Pour over top of chicken. Top with corn chips and cover. Bake at 375 for about 45 min. Remove from oven, uncover, add remaining cheese and put back into oven. Heat until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve over rice

Now, this is the official recipe Jill gave me but I'll tell you what I do differently.

Double the soup and the milk. If you buy those giant tubs of taco seasoning at Costco (if you are a mormon with lots of kids then you do) put as much as you want in. I don't measure but if I did then it be about 1/2 a cup (or more). I don't measure the cheese. Can there really be too much cheese? I didn't think so. Also, I use the whole bag of corn chips because otherwise I have a third of a bag sitting in my pantry forgotten about and when I go to make this meal again I need a new bag anyway so then there is another third of a bag sitting in the pantry and then when I move, which I do often, I end up throwing out 12 partially used bags of corn chips. This is annoying to me so I pour on the entire bag, the kids love it AND (this is critical) I don't put the corn chips on UNTIL THE LAST 15 MINUTES WHEN I PUT ON THE REMAINDER OF THE CHEESE. This way they don't get soggy.

Okay. There you have it. I have never met a person who didn't love this meal.

I have another new fave but I think I'll save it for next week.

What's for dinner tonight?

Buen provecho!!

8 comments:

  1. i am trying to eat proper. my mouth is watering. come on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious.

    And NO. There can never be too much cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dairy, I miss you SOOOOOOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very kid friendly meal - I am always on the lookout for those! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm. I think I might just have to try this recipe!! I just need some taco seasoning. Would you believe, as a mormon mom, I've never bought the big costco containers.... though, I should since I obviously never have any when I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This meal is one of our family favorites ever since you served it to us.

    I spin my recipe a bit also,

    I fry up ground beef and onions, then add the spice.
    Add 2 cans of mushroom soup, 1 can of milk.
    Serve with Rice and corn
    I put everything on the table and every one layers up their own dish.
    Rice
    Meat
    Corn
    Cheese
    Corn Chips

    YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I read your blog! I am glad to came to love my sugar daddy!
    Too funny, I also double the sauce and never measure the cheese!

    I am excited for your next recipe, because I miss all the times you cooked for me! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya, your 'spin' on the recipe isn't a 'spin'. It's an entirely new invention. And, you wouldn't be able to call it Mexican chicken anymore because it has beef. Mexican Beef sounds weird.....

    ReplyDelete