Thursday, February 17, 2011

the message in the music

One of the scariest things to me as a mother is what my kids are listening to on the radio. What really gets my goat is when I find out that school bus drivers and school teachers are allowing this garbage onto the bus and into the classroom. My britches get burned when we're out driving around and the kids want to listen to the radio and they sing every word to every song. Songs I've never heard before because my tolerance for the radio is about 23 seconds long. When I try to turn the station because the song sounds more nerve grating than chewing tin foil, the kids yell "no don't turn it! I love this song". So I'll play it for awhile to see if it's appropriate. A lyric will come on that makes my skin crawl and they're singing at the tops of their little lungs and I say things like "how on earth do you know this repulsive song?" and they respond with "my teacher lets us listen to the radio during gym" and I want to drive to the school and punch someone's lights out.

Wowza..... what has gotten into me?

I don't know, maybe it's the fact that my children know more about table dancing and one night stands and drinking on the dance floor and armed robbery and being beaten down by men or by life or by over using drugs than any person should know in their lifetime. I hear parents say things like "my kids are little, they don't even know what they are singing."

Mmm hmm.

So, as of late, I have been on the look out for music that turns their crank without me feeling the necessity to have an important conversation with them every 5 minutes. Knowhatimean?

I have recently been turned on to these guys. And this song in particular. The kids dig it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm the last person on the planet to hear of them. Better late than never I always say.

What are you listening to?

3 comments:

  1. I don't have the problem of teachers and bus drivers playing music since my son always has his ear phones in on the bus but my hubby and I were just looking over lyrics for 4 more songs he wanted us to buy for him last night. Happily all of the songs her requested were okay. It is difficult to find decent music but it is out there. I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I've never heard of this group before - Mumford & Sons. It's pretty good.
    So far we haven't had too many issues, though Abigail in the last few days has been requesting songs she's heard at school and dance. I'm not sure how appropriate they are yet. I'll have to look into it. I do know that some of them are Lady Gaga, which are definitely out of the question, but I'm not sure about the rest.
    So far while the kids are at home, the kids usually just listen to Selina Gomez, which I'm happy with. Clean songs and I kinda like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still groove to Disney most of the time. Or Baby Einstein for Logan. It can get pretty grating too...but in a different way. I'm dreading the day they start getting more interested in the radio.

    ReplyDelete