Tuesday, June 18, 2013

things i learned at university. part one

I'm going to start a new segment. It shall be known here forth as Things I Learned at University.

Today's subject will be ugly children. Did you know that there is a difference in how parents treat their beautiful children versus their ugly children? 

I did not know there was. Until today. And you could knock me down and call me Sally with that information.

First of all, do parents even know when they have ugly kids? I mean, I thought all parents viewed their children as masterpieces. It dumbfounds me that a parent would have an ugly child and know it. 

I hope my children are not ugly unbeknownst to me. 

Anyway, Canadian researchers have made a startling assertion: parents take better care of pretty children than they do the ugly ones. 

That was taken right from my notes the prof posted online. It may be in my text but I haven't read this chapter yet. It's probably in there. I'm sure it's in there.

Don't ask me to cite it. I mean, I could if you're one of those people who might write mean things about me on the internet because I did not cite my facts. But remember, this is my blog and if I want to make stuff up I will. 

But...I did not make this up. 

These studies also say that when it comes to buckling up, pretty and ugly children were treated in starkly different ways, with seat belt use increasing in direct proportion to attractiveness. 

WHA!!!!!!!!!????????

People of the world. I just want to say something. Please do not discriminate against homely littles. Buckle up all the children equally. It's not their fault they're ugly.

I feel passionately about this.

I think I saw an ugly child at the grocery store today but I'm not one to judge. He was old enough to buckle himself though so he should be fine.

Oh, for the love.....

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word! Well, I guess my children are beautiful - I always buckle their seatbelts after all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 18, 2013

    in all seriousness, its in our genes to take better care of children who are more likely to use parental investment more effectively. this, of course, is not done consciously, and no moral judgments need to be made on parents who do this, because they are not likely to "know" what they are doing, but they are acting differently nonetheless. you would know this if you took my evolutionary psyc class this spring. cheers, your eldest brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy crazy crazy. I don't know what else to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that I must have had only beautiful children as they all got buckled in. Amazing research finding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol... This is awful, but you're hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I do buy the evolutionary psyc argument, but then again...if your children are ugly, where the hell do you think they got it from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So... I want to know exactly how this data was collected and who determined if a child was ugly or not? There may be flaws in the research :)

    ReplyDelete