Thursday, December 1, 2011

the snow angel

There is a man who lives about 3 blocks away from me. He isn't an old man but he's a retired man. He is the type of man that has his youth, some money and lots and lots of time to kill. He has a beautiful home with lots of garages and in those garages he has toys. Toys that look like trucks and fancy cars and a cute little green and yellow snow plow.

When it snows he hops on his little green and yellow go-go machine and plows the snow on the sidewalk in front of his house. But he doesn't stop there. Oh no, not him, he keeps going and does the loop around the whole neighbourhood. He just motors on, around and around and around until the snow stops. And then he does one last loop, I assume for good measure.

In all my amazing good fortune, my house happens to be on that loop.

He shovels my walk. Now this doesn't affect me so much because I don't do shoveling. I am of the opinion some chores are for men and so I allow the man the opportunity to serve us by working full time AND shoveling our walk. I am gracious like that. It's just who I am, I can't help it.

But.....because the snow angel is who he is the man doesn't have to shovel either and when the man's job gets easier, my job gets easier and that is a win-win. Plus, it allows us more free time to feel the love.

And we choose to love the snow angel.




My last goal for 2011, can you believe a whole year has gone by since I started this little goaling journey? will be to have me and my family perform little acts of kindness for the snow angel and his family. I thought it would be fun to get everyone involved since it's Christmas an' all. Why not have all of us feel the cheery-like feelings that come when one is doing something nice and fun for someone else.

We are calling it 'the 12 days before christmas' because that's what it's called. For the 12 days before christmas we will be dropping off, anonymously of course, something sweet to eat with little notes of our appreciation for this family. Maybe they will have a Dr.Suess vibe to them since I have mad skills in that department. We will be ringing doorbells and running for our lives and laughing all the way. Ho ho ho.

I haven't quite figured it out yet but when I do I'll be sure to share. If you have ever done this before and have any good ideas pleasepleaseplease feel free to leave me a comment and tell me what it is. Or email me. Or facebook me. Or whatever.

It's going to be a fun month filled with baking goodies, lots of giggles and some seriously good times. A great way to end a great year.

Don'tyouthink?

4 comments:

  1. AAwww what a sweet man! Yep, fill his belly full of yummy things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great last goal Catherine!
    My family and I used to do the "12 Days of Christmas" every year (though, we haven't the last few... I don't know why we stopped, we just did...) anyways, over the years, we didn't always do the same thing. Some years we stuck to giving small gifts with a poem. Things we gave were books, baking, ornaments, candles, sugar cookie dough with a cutter and icing, etc. The list is ridiculous really and I have it all written down in my Christmas book. Then the more recent times we've done this, we've changed it where we spent the money and bought a really nice nativity set that had a min. of 12 pieces and every night we'd give a different piece with a matching scripture for that item (or for animals, etc we'd just give one of our favorite christmas stories)
    Have fun with it Catherine. It's a fun activity to do with the kids!!
    I'm thinking we might do something this year. I saw on Pinterest that someone does "Random Acts of Christmas Kindness" and leaves notes saying they've been "RACK'd". Then they did things like taping some quarters on the little vending machines at stores or dropping off baking at the fire department or buying groceries for the less fortunate. I'm thinking it's a nice twist on the "12 Days of Christmas" idea... but to spread the love to random people. (sorry this is a long comment... I'm stopping now)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet neighbor. And what a fun goal! Maybe we'll have to do something like that. I can't wait to hear what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore this! He is fantastic and you are fantastic for surprising him with nice things for 12 days! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete