Thursday, January 27, 2011

an ode....and stuff

An ode to the man:

There once was a boy from Kentucky.
Whom his wife thought was so very lucky.

Wait...no, sorry. That's a limerick.

The man had a birthday and he's not from Kentucky. It was truly the most uneventful day in the history of uneventful days. Actually, the only way it could have been more uneventful was if I had forgotten about it. No big deal. I guess 37 doesn't really need to be chronicled as a day with pizzazz.

However, as uneventful as it was, I do feel as though a tribute must be made in his honor. I offered to take him out for lunch and he asked me to pick him up at his worksite. This is what he was doing when I pulled up.



Nothing really, just building a house all by himself. I don't know why, but this never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes I try to imagine what it would be like to build a house for a family to live in all by myself. It would never get done and if it did it would probably just fall down. That poor family would be homeless. It would be tragic, to say the least.

The man:
- is strong
- hardworking and motivated (see picture above)
- is smart
- is funny (or so he thinks but we all know that I am way funnier)
- is dashing (especially in his Italian suit)
- isn't nearly as scary as he wants people to think (bark is louder than bite kind of thing)
- has a hard time finishing what he starts, ie. reno (except for work, that stuff always gets done)
- is sweet (he has never once in 16 years made me feel bad about myself)
- is very agreeable (pretty much what Catie wants Catie gets. I think he should be thankful that Catie doesn't ask for much. Maybe that's why he's so agreeable)
- loves his family (why else would anyone work that hard?)

Anyway, I suppose this list could go on and on but then it might include things that are less attractive, like certain gases that escape from him on occasion or the random bad word that slips from his mouth. Or the fact that he can't remember a single thing I tell him and then blames me for his negligence. Or that he thinks "sorry honey" is sufficient for getting out of trouble.

Yeah, things like that. We won't mention them because we wouldn't want him to feel bad. Besides, it doesn't matter. His awesomeness makes up for it all. He doesn't charge for his awesomeness either...... or his attractiveness, so we thank him for that.***

Moving on.

I have been tagged in a book meme. What's a meme, you ask? Good question. I have no idea, but I do know what it means to be tagged and in the interest of maintaining good standing with a certain Canadian Mama I will participate......to a degree.

So here are the rules;
Take a picture of the books you are reading currently and add to your post.
Describe the books and if you are enjoying them or not. Why?
For every book you are reading you have to tag one person.
Leave the person a comment letting them know you tagged them.




From the bottom up:
1. The Beginning Runners Handbook. I follow this book when I am training. I have never trained at this weight before and I can't find the chapter that talks about running with a piano tied to your butt so I am finding my training to be slightly torturous. I like it though and I plan on doing it at least three times this year in an effort to reach one of my resolutions

2. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I have had this book on my shelf for years and I'm finally reading it. Atwood books are great but I can only imagine that in real life Margaret Atwood is a lot off her rocker, if you catch my drift. What is going on her head most of the time? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't understand it if she told me. Great book, so far.

3. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Ashley, if you are reading this then I apologize for getting it from the library after your impassioned objection of it's worthiness to keep one entertained satisfactorily. I couldn't resist and I needed to know. I'm 100 pages in and I do believe you were right. Shame on me.

*I should mention here that I hardly ever read 2 novels at the same time but I find that if I am reading one that I don't enjoy then I like to read something awesome as well. Hence the Atwood mixed with the hedgehog. Stupid hedgehog.

4. Women Food and God by Geneen Roth. I am reading this book as part of my mysterious third resolution that has yet to be revealed but will be this weekend, in case you are interested. I am halfway through and although I find it very entertaining I don't see it changing my life profoundly. Maybe the second half will rock my world. We'll see.

5. The scriptures. I try to read daily from these. I'm not great at it. Something else to work on I guess. I do love my scriptures though and I love that this year in Sunday school we are studying the New Testament again. It's exciting. Oh, and the Book of Mormon is cool too.

You can see another stack of books in the background. I always have a stack on my bedside table. I don't know why so don't ask. As a side note, I took this picture with the Hipstamatic app on my phone so besides being a great stack of books it just looks cool. Right?

This is where I become a party pooper. I won't be tagging anyone but please feel free, if you are reading this, to play along and if you do, let me know so I can let the Mama know too.


The End (hallelujah, you say? Be nice)



***Kung Fu Panda is one of his fave movies and he quotes it often but don't tell him I said anything because he is trying to maintain a certain level of machismo that a love of cartoon movies might significantly reduce.

The End. Really, truly, the end.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Happy Birthday to your old man!!

    Also, yep, love Atwood and I totally agree with the off your rocker part!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! What a lovely tribute post.

    I have a love/hate relationship with Atwood. I love much of her work and hate the rest! Loved the Blind Assassin though...so much that when hubby and I formed a punk band when we were young, wild and crazy, we named it The Blind Assassins!

    ReplyDelete