Thursday, May 19, 2011

give me some sugar, baby

Last night I asked Amelia if she wanted to make dinner. Naturally, she said yes. Sweet, I thought, I'm off the hook.

"What do you want me to make mommy?"

Good question kiddo.

She threw some potstickers in a pot. Actually it was a pan, but whatever. We forgot the oil and had some pretty crispy potstickers. Actually we call them dumplings, but whatever.

She gently placed some broccoli and cauliflower in the steamer.




And as she did I thought of how sweet she was. She kept saying over and over "I can't believe I am cooking. I just can't believe it."

This child is delicious. Positively edible, I tell you. I am the luckiest mama in the history of mama's to get this scrumptious child as my last child. (She'd better be the last child, or heaven help us all.)

This little bit of sweetness brought home the undeniable fact that I would probably give her away for some sugar right about now. Okay, not really but you catch my drift. It's that special time of month, the time I swore I wouldn't talk about so much. The time when all the world smells like sugar to me.

"What's that smell?" I say as we're walking to the truck. And me, with my nose in the air.

"What's that smell?" I say when I walk in the house and I could swear on my mama's life someone is hiding a chocolate cake under the couch.

"Mmmmm, whaaaaat's thaaaat smeeeeell?" I sigh ardently when I walk into the grocery store.

"Sick," the man says, "it smells like Superstore."

"Mmmmmm, Suuuuperstoooore........." To me, it smells like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Oh Willy Wonka, will you marry me?

My pms (shhh, don't tell anyone I am talking about my pms again, it may turn some people off) but I repeat, my pms has needs that no amount of rule making can deny.

I need it, it is very important. Essential. Vital. Pressing. Urgent.

It must be had.

Soon my pms will go away but will my needs? Secretly, deep down in my hidden recesses of secret keepingdom, I hope not for I am having some very saccharine sweet fantasies that involve me and a day of sugar ingestation. An illicit love affair between sacchariferous- ness and myself. It'll be tawdry. Full of wild abandon. And, the only ones who will know will be me and my blog, which is a vault, so my secret is safe.

June 1st is only 13 sleeps away and I am dreaming up a sugar fiesta to shame all fiestas. Don't even try to talk me out of it.

4 comments:

  1. You should have a "Death by Chocolate" party to kick of June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have finished an entire batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the last 2 days...except about 4 or so for the rest of the family. I sicken myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried eating protein bars? When I need something on the go it is perfect. Totally satisfies a chocolate craving and there is no guilt because it has protein in it right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Amelia. That's so darn cute that she's so excited about cooking. Will she be so excited in 5, 10, 15 + years from now? probably not.
    How fortunate it is, to have such sweet kids being our last. The way you feel about Amelia, I say the same about Matthew. I don't know what it is, but I look at him and I just MELT.

    And what's with the sugar?? I thought you were all happy with how no sugar affects your body.... like less palpatations and better sleep..... No? Has something changed?
    I'm just bugging you. I don't think I could ever give up sugar, not even for a day, so I bow to your sugar-resisting stamina. Bring on a chocolate feast!!

    ReplyDelete