Thursday, January 3, 2013

happy new year?



As I sit here listening to three little girls giggle their heads off whilst having a tea party upon towels on my kitchen floor I ponder how I got so lucky in life.

I really do.

What did I do in my past life to deserve these precious little beings I call my children and my brothers and sister's children?

Heavens, I simply do not know.

Well, it's the new year. It's the time where I see everyone making resolutions and recapping past resolutions. I suppose I could go back to last year at this time and see what I said but I'm lazy soooo...

What was I saying?

I know I did say I wanted to lose 30 pounds by my birthday. I didn't quite reach it but I did lose the 30 pounds by the beginning of December.

That counts for something. Has to.

Remember that year when I did a goal a month? Man, I must have been bored that year.

This year I have but one goal and the perhaps the continuation of another. Okay, we'll call a spade a spade, it's two goals.

One, to lose another 30 pounds by my 40th birthday in October.

DID I JUST SAY 40TH BIRTHDAY?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just threw up in my mouth a little. How is that even possible that I will be 40 this year? Man, my parents are OLD.

I digress. Another 30 by 40. My nutritionist is all over this and so am I. Why not spend my 40's feeling fabulous?

I mean, really, why the heck not?

And the other goal is to continue on this new found happiness path. I will give credit to a little white pill and perhaps a little credit goes to being back at university and doing something with my mind that makes me feel alive. I would probably feel more alive if my freaking communications professor would post our marks already. Yesterday I did receive the relieving news that I got 92% on my comm final which is awesome but I still don't have all my marks for that class and therefore I don't have my final mark and school starts again on Tuesday!

Good grief, is my response to that.

Anyway, this Christmas break we did something new as a family. Something we have never done before in the 17 and a half years of this family's existence.

We all got sick.

Every last one of us got hit with something. And it's been super fun-like. Youknowwhatimean?

The poor man spent almost 5 hours at the walk-in clinic in Edmonton last night waiting to see a doctor. You know the man is sick when he's willing to do that. We won't discuss his mood when he finally left. I'd show you the text but, well....

Inappropriate. You know?

So let's recap: Amelia, ruptured eardrum and flu, one missed week of school and 10 days of antibiotics. Continuing sniffles and she's good. Holden, flu. Poor dude, he never complains. Jack, strep throat and 10 days of antibiotics. Cicely, cold and cough and since she's an ox and never gets sick she wasn't quite sure what was happening to her. Me, bladder infection, one week antibiotics. Strep throat, one week antibiotics. Then the man came home and graciously gave me his head cold. The man, head cold, the one-plugged-nostril-crappy-sleep kind of cold and then his head cold turned into ear infections and now he feels like a 2 year old.

And that, my friends, is how the Dabels welcomed 2013!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. I just love how your write. You are soooo good.
    Anywho, 30 by 40. You can do it!
    Yay to 92% Smartty pants. I don't think that is how you spell smartty is it? Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think it's a shame that you didn't live closer.

    Now? I'm kind of relieved.

    Hope everyone's doing better, CONGRATS on the final & I'll be turning 40 two months before you. I'll have tips for you by then. Or hard liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a rough holiday. Let's hope you were getting it out of the way so that 2013 is full of health?! I'm tired just after reading about all that sickness and suddenly grateful for a non-sick Christmas.

    ReplyDelete