Wednesday, March 16, 2011

pain and punishment. and a recipe.

Last night I sent the boys downstairs to clean up their vicious mess while I made dinner out of my new cookbook. They would not stop fighting. My blood started to boil. I wanted to go down and smash some skulls but my good mommy instincts told me that physical violence was probably not my best option.

It was probably not a fantastic idea that I just confessed that either, so.... moving on.

As I stirred, cooked and spiced up a new recipe that I was eager to try I contemplated my various options and possible consequences for these two young men. The same young men who think it is fine to have Nerf wars that require the moving of furniture and complete upheaval of an entire basement and not put a single thing away or back to it's original position.

And then it happened. It being my love of natural consequences.

The recipe called for the processing of the decadent smelling concoction on my stove. I bought a new food processor at Christmas and any opportunity to blend the you-know-what out of my food is welcomed.

So I processed. And while I did, it occurred to me that the color of this meal was probably going to leave a little bit to be desired for the children. Ahhh, the it.

Black Bean Soup, which is more like a paste/dip than a soup. When you blend up black beans it doesn't look a rainbow. Knowwhatimean?



Punishment enough.

"Dinner!" Bwahahahahaha

I did try to disguise it so as to not have the moment they see it be one of panic and contemplation of calling the kids help phone. (1-800-668-6868, they are often reciting this, just in case.)



Pain and punishment was fun while it lasted. Verdict on dinner: Jack hated it, naturally. Cicely and Holden both said it was fine. Amelia, the man and I loved it. It really was delicious. A perfect dish to bring to a party.

Black Bean Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup quinoa
2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
2-19 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 tsp of minced fresh garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
tortilla chips
shredded aged cheddar
sour cream or plain yogurt

Place the oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add the quinoa and toast until lightly fragrant, about 4 minutes.

Add the broth, black beans and garlic to the pan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until quinoa is tender, stirring frequently for about 14 minutes.

Add chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Puree the cooked mixture with a hand blender or cool slightly and puree in two batches in a blender or food processor. Return the soup to the saucepan over low heat. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and salt. Ladle into bowls, top with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream or yogurt.

6 comments:

  1. You have already had comment or figure it out, but I've been thinking about your problem of being so hungry after working out.

    Since you're doing a no meat thing, I like to eat beans and brown rice. All flavoured up nicely and without much fat, but it's a complete protein and SOO filling. LIke, hours 3-4+ worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing and would definitely be punishment for kyle..... Must keep It in the back pocket

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I won't tell, sometimes I have the same skull bashing dream :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I love black beans and will totally try this soup. Even if it does look the same going in as it will coming out!

    ReplyDelete