Sunday, March 20, 2011

the skinny and the quinoa

I had no idea what quinoa was until about three weeks ago when I started contemplating vegetarian month. I wanted to have a healthy month, not just a meat free month. I did some research and opened my ears. I discovered my long lost love. I tiny little ball of goodness that is just plain fun to eat.

Why did no one ever tell me about this before?

Once again I feel like the last person on earth to hear the news. This always happens to me. If I was mentally unstable or super immature I would think you people were doing it to me on purpose. But that would be just plain silly.

Right?

The man loves the quinoa. It is the weirdest thing. He can't get enough. I'll make a ginormous salad thinking it will last me for a few lunches and he eats it all at dinner. Those little funny balls of pleasure and health. Who knew? Don't answer that. Everyone knew. Everyone but me.

I won't take it personally. I won't. Now I know and that's all that matters.

Right? (insert theme song from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Here's something to choke on.....I mean, enjoy:

Southwest Quinoa Salad:

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup of fresh lime juice
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp finely minced jalapeno
1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup diced red bell pepper
One 14 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp salt

Bring water and quinoa to a boil in medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another four minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool. Place the quinoa in a large bowl. Whisk the oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, jalapeno in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the quinoa. Toss with the corn, red pepper, black beans, cilantro and salt. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate in a sealed container for up to three days.

I did it different. I used a can of corn instead of frozen. I used a can of diced chilies instead of jalapeno. I sautéed the corn, beans and peppers with garlic and served the dish hot. I also added a bit of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for some kick. We like the kick around here.

If you like Cafe Rio you will love this. Divine.

If I could have a garden and only grow cilantro then I would grow that cilantro and bathe my tongue in it's beauty every moment of everyday until I turned into a delectable, fragrant, green herb of heavenly goodness. I would be the happiest lady. And not in the least bit psychotic.

And now for the skinny -ness:

I hate running. I have decided and it's official. It's hard, it makes me exhausted and my bum hurts. And my calves. And my feet.
I didn't run much this week, again. I did work out a ton though. It's almost like my avoidance of the running just sends me over to the elliptical. It's as if I'm getting sweet revenge on the treadmill by using it's arch nemesis for my exercise instead. I guess the joke's on......me though because I am so very pooped and my knees are yelling "hey, why don't you torture your bum for a bit over there on the treadmill and leave me the heck alone!" Do you think the treadmill could be laughing at me?

(Cue theme song)

I did run some but mostly I did the elliptical because the mile count is SO MUCH HIGHER and the feeling of accomplishment is more even though they are a pretty similar workout. Or so I think anyway. But what do I know? I'm crazy, remember.

37.35 miles. Awesome. 5 workouts. Awesome.

It must be all the remarkable sleep I am getting.

Sugar? None. Not a wink. Or a smidge. Or a pinch. Or a lick. You get the idea. No sugar was consumed.

Meat? I did have a spoonful of chicken sauce at the Relief Society Anniversary dinner. It was a moment of hunger and weakness when my brain told me that if I didn't put the sauce on the rice the meal would be bad. And I was hungry. I think my brain was right but I could have survived the meal meatless. Then my brain told me that since I am not a true vegetarian I shouldn't feel bad about it. My brain was lying. I felt bad.

Anyway, here is to a meat free week.

Cheers.




***Post edit: We have decided, since we eat this almost everyday, that it's remotely better cold and with green onions added to it. Gotta add the chipotle peppers though, they are what really make it great!

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't added quinoa to our family diet yet because it is so darn expensive. Did you find a good deal somewhere for it? It is yummy and good for you so maybe I'll just breakdown and buy some. Your numbers are impressive on the elliptical. Mine doesn't tell me miles just steps. I should figure out the miles. You're doing great sticking to your goals. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some and have yet to make it! I didn't know which recipe to try! But I'll try this one! It looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice going! And do you know how to SAY quinoa, cuz it was quite a while before I found that out. Oh, & quinoa pancakes are super yummy too, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, it's not just you that didn't know about quinoa. I had never heard of it until recently. And even now, it means absolutely nothing to me cause I still don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks like, nor where you would find it.....
    You've intrigued me. I'm feeling the need to feel less out of the loop. Though, there's lots of comments on it being expensive, so that's having a damper effect on my need to find it. What is the cost of it anyways? And where do you find it? I might just have to go take a look. Goodness knows I could use a good dose of healthiness in my life.

    ReplyDelete