Tuesday, April 24, 2012

sending all my love

Packing up a house to move is a fascinating experience. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I move I still end up going through stuff and finding stuff and loving stuff. Like this picture of Amelia that I stumbled across.



Honestly......

I am all over this move like white on rice. Like flies on stink. Like a duck on a June bug.

Don't ask.

The man and I have been taking loads over to the new house here and there. It's been a good workout. But back to the stuff I am finding.

Remember the days of CD's? If you are old, like me, then you remember having an extra $15 bucks kicking around and deciding to spend it on a CD.

How does HMV stay in business? Does anyone know? And RV lots. How do they stay in business?

I digress. I'm very tired. I digress because I am very tired. I blame Frozen Planet. Have you seen that show? It is pure awesomeness. And I will stay up 'til all hours watching it. And also, I had to register all the kids in their new schools yesterday and that was three schools and that is a lot more paperwork than seems humanly possible.

Or necessary.

Anyway......

I found a box of CD's. Old dusty CD's with broken cases. Ancient. From like the late 1900's.

Motley Crue, Haywire, Bad English, Dino, Quiet Riot, ZZ Top, Ozzy Osborne, Bel Biv Devoe, Black Sabbath to name a few. And by the way, who is this man I married with this most diverse music selection?

My CD's, on the other hand, well......they speak for themselves.

Utah Saints, Roxette, Jesus Jones, every Phil Collins album ever made, Bon Jovi, Tom Cochrane, Sting, some random dance mixes, U2. But the pièce de résistance? The proverbial icing?

Linear.



Ohhhhh, my Linear album. How that album saved me from the heartbreak of '89. The year I broke it off with Jeff. Jeff, who was one year older than me but one grade behind me in school. What can I say? I didn't judge. Or, I didn't judge nearly hard enough, if you ask my dad. Whatever. We dated and when it ended, in true 16 year old form, I acted heartbroken. Although, I don't think I was too terribly heartbroken. I did, however, feel obligated to the drama of a devastated 16 year old girl who was saying good-bye to her first love. There was a certain pull towards the drama, thanks to Beverly Hills 90210, and I grabbed ahold and allowed it to swallow me whole.

We broke up in early summer but we worked together. It was ridiculously torturous. Then my parents made me quit so we could go on holidays. We drove down to Disneyland. All I did on that 2 day journey was lie on my back on the seat of the van and listen to Linear.

Sending All My Love. And, of course, the appropriately named Heartache, with it's totally awesome synthesizer solo in the middle. I used to fantasize I was playing that awesome solo with this awesome band at pep rallies while Jeff was longing for my love from the bleachers of our high school gym.

Over and over and over again, I listened to this absurd album and found some serious solace at the end when the 8 minute club remix of Sending All My Love came on. I went through batteries on my trusty ol' Sony Discman like there was no tomorrow. And as far as I was concerned, there may as well not have been a tomorrow.

Linear. They were a thing.



For real.

2 comments:

  1. NOOOOOOOO!!!! Phil Collins?? He's my #1 most despised musical artist. Cannot stand his voice. Are we blog friends off now?

    ReplyDelete