Saturday, May 15, 2010

silly greek chili

I went to a church function last night for the ladies. It was lovely and in the most beautiful location ever! We ate food, lots of food. Mormons know their food and the value of that food at functions. I took something healthy that I knew I could eat guilt free. Turns out everyone loved it. It is in the Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook if you have it. If not here is the recipe:

Silly Greek Chili (pg. 185)
2 tsp olive oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup chopped red onions
1 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes (good luck finding this-I just use regular diced toms)
1 1/2 cups of favourite pasta sauce (I use Classico Spicy Red Pepper because it's SPICY-sort of)
1 cup canned chick peas (I use the whole can because we love chick peas)
1 tbsp brown sugar
freshly ground black pepper
minced fresh cilantro
feta

Heat olive oil in pan and cook the chicken until it is lightly browned but not entirely cooked. Add onions, zucchini and red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until veggies begin to soften

Stir in chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes with juice, pasta sauce, chick peas and brown sugar and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

The recipe says to add the cilantro and the feta but I prefer to let people add their own.

Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks Rhonda for putting me onto this recipe. It is a fave over here at the Dabels!

3 comments:

  1. It was so good! I meant to buy ingredients today to make for Sunday dinner but we'll have to wait for Monday. I told Mat we sort of planned a girls' night. His response "wasn't last night girls' night?" Me: "Uhm, totally not", Him: "well...were there any men there?" *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm you are welcome!! We just had it last night too!

    ReplyDelete