Friday, May 21, 2010

en suite-ness

Once upon a time there was a boy and girl who were looking for an old house to buy that they could make beautiful together and sell. They went tile shopping. They found a really expensive tile that they both agreed would look great as the backsplash in the new kitchen, wherever that was to be. They were surprised that they both loved the tile and were pleased at the prospect of this new joint venture. An opportunity to work together on something they have both always wanted to do. They bought a house. And, a sample of the tile.

Fast forward three months. Man and woman have come to terms with the fact that they both have their jobs and if one interferes with the other ugliness happens. So the man, fixes stuff, moves stuff, builds stuff, sues previous home owners, hauls stuff and apparently gets to keep the ugly window and pick the doors while the woman gets to pick the colors, the countertops, the cupboards, the light fixtures, the trim and baseboard, the carpet, the tile and the stone. Everything but the doors, I know, weird. And she gets to paint and lay tile now too, which is fine, it doesn't mean anything if you don't work for it, right?

The woman based the entire color scheme of the house on this backsplash tile. The kitchen will match, the paint will match, the floor tile will match, it will be beautiful.

Then she changed her mind on the back splash.

It would look better in a bathroom, she thought. The en suite.

Now the en suite is plumbed, framed and drywalled and I think failed inspection but plumbing is not my job so the man can deal with it. I can pick the tile. Bathrooms require lots of tile. I have found what I want. Naturally it's expensive. This is where the problem comes in. I made a stink about the doors because they were expensive and I wanted to cheap out on the doors. Some unfair things were said by the man and he won the door fight. He really knows how to work it!

Now I want the pricey tile that he thinks is too expensive. I want the pricey tile because it flows so well. The room is small and I really want it to be cohesive and look like it is one unit as opposed to a few things that just sort of go together. If it was my bathroom I would I want it to be beautiful and so I can only assume that whoever buys this house would want the same thing. So it is a little more expensive than the cheaper alternative, the same alternative you see everywhere you go (no offense). It's beautiful and may just sell the house, which, by the way, is the same argument he used to win the door fight.

So I think my mind is made up. I want the glass tile that goes with the backsplash which is now the en suite focal point.

I know I probably won't win this one since I want the really super expensive pulls for the kitchen drawers. But I will fight for my tile. What kind of decorator would I be if I didn't at least fight for the tile?



Post edit: I have discovered a new alternative that I am quite happy with and is also cheap. So I am happy AND the man is happy. Marital bliss has been achieved..... temporarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment