Wednesday, May 26, 2010

mr. computerlandman

Dear man from computerland,

You just called me and at first I thought you were a real human being, you sounded just like one but then I realized that you were a computer designed to trick me into listening to you. You called me on the phone to tell me that there is "a need to open the lines of communication" between me and my credit card company. You told me to call you back at my earliest convenience. This is fascinating to me on so many levels. For one thing, since the call came up as unknown name and number I figure you're pretty dang lucky I answered the call in the first place. Second, since I did answer, I would hazard a guess and say that the exact moment I picked up the phone may just have been my earliest convenience. Thirdly, I know there is a zero balance on that credit card, so basically, I don't feel the same pressing need to open the lines of communication as you do.

I don't think I'll be calling you back, Mr. Computerlandman.

And for future reference, man from computerland, if you want to talk to me then have a real person, and not a trickster like yourself, call me. Then when I pick up the phone, which I don’t normally do when it is an unknown name and number that real person can openly communicate with me right then and there.

Thanks so much for sparing me a moment of your valuable time.

Love,

Catherine

1 comment: