Thursday, March 29, 2012

the hunger games was silly

There are only a handful of movies I can think of that were even remotely close to being decent in comparison to the books that inspired them.

For someone who loves to read fiction and loves loves loves to go to the movies I think it is one of the very best treasures in life when you read a book you loved and you see it like a movie in your head and then they make a movie based on it and the onscreen movie is the exact same movie you saw in your head while you were reading the book.

Youknowwhatimean?

For example, Shutter Island. The book and the movie were identical. Both awesome.

Harry Potter 1 and 2 were exactly how I saw them in my head. By the third movie they changed the director I think and he killed the scenery for me.

The Lovely Bones was an amazing book. Terrible movie. Awful, in fact.

The Other Boleyn Girl. Loved the book. Hated the movie. They totally changed the movie. Why do they do that?

We Need to Talk About Kevin. Absolutely, stunningly traumatic book. I gave the movie one and a half thumbs down. But only because Eva did not act in the movie like she acted in my head. And.....I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one. Someone missed the 'vision' and it wasn't me.

The Time Traveler's Wife. My favourite book of all time and I really liked the movie but most people did not.

Anyway.....

The man and I took Cicely to see The Hunger Games on Monday night. She had read the book twice, me once, the man none. I asked him repeatedly to read the books because they were so good and I thought he would like them.

He doesn't listen to me.

Whatever. Man. Your loss.

Now is where I will preface this story with my feelings on teen lit. I have not read a lot of teen lit as an adult. I have read all the Harry Potter books, well except the last third of the last book.

Can you believe that? I got two thirds through and gave up. I did not care for that book at all. I even carted that stupid thing all around Italy and Greece and never finished it. I loved the movies though so I don't feel so bad about it.

Twilight.

I read all the Twilight books. The first one was good. I was gripped. No question. The rest were total crap. Why did I read them? I bowed to peer pressure. I was weak. I conformed. And these stupid books ruined all teen lit potential for me. I forbid Cicely to read them and I stand behind my opinion that these books are the epitome of a teen love triangle vampire/werewolf fiction cesspool.

Okay, that was dramatic.

Enter The Hunger Games. At first I did not want to read them because of the whole Twilight thing. But Jack wanted to read them and I needed to know if he was going to survive the ridiculousness that is teen lit.

So I read them. And I loved them. And the love triangle did not leave me wanting to deck anyone. And the leading lady had good reason to be mopey and ill-wardrobed. She had important things to contend with.

She was nothing like that whiny smile-less, needy, tease Bella.

I was so impressed with how close the onscreen movie was compared to the movie playing in my mind as I read the book. It was really good.

The Hunger Games that is.

Really really good.

When it was done I looked at the man and asked him if he loved it like we did.

"It was stupid," he said.

"Haha." Surely he was pulling my leg.

He held firm to his opinion all the way home. We almost argued over it. I even accused him of acting like his mother. He didn't like this, he didn't like that, he didn't like the other thing. He claimed he needed to have read the book first. I told him he was wrong since the movie was so accurate and what could he possibly have issue with? Regardless, he hated it. Thought it was dumb, stupid and silly.

Silly.

He thought The Hunger Games was silly.

This from the man whose favourite genre to read is fantasy.


Fantasy. Silly. Aren't these synonyms?

Cicely and I decided that we will never ever invite the man to another movie ever ever again.

Pfft....The Hunger Games was silly.

Silly my butt.

15 comments:

  1. I'm agreeing with most things you are saying. Except The Time Travellers Wife.

    Shame on you. SHAME SHAME! ;)
    p.s please note the passive agressive winky face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on now. What's your issue? The book or the movie or both?

      The book was awesome. I dare anyone to defy it.

      Delete
    2. The book was amazing. The movie was just a joke.

      Delete
  2. Hmm...maybe I should take the mans word (since I too have not read it nor do I have plans to) and not see it either.

    I mean... he can't always be wrong, can he?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..... you could take the man's word but just know that HE IS WRONG!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad the movie is good! I was very worried when I heard they were making a movie. Because it is rare when the movie compares to the book...just like you said.

    What was your opinion on The Help? Have you read the book and seen the movie?

    I got Shawn to read Hunger Games because I enjoyed it so much. He only read the first and liked it. But, now that it's "mainstream and popular", he doesn't like it as much. Ppfft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Help. The book and the movie. Both mad me laugh and cry. Loved them.

      Delete
  4. Catherine, I'm at a crazy stage right now where I don't have time to read (sad face). I usually like to read the book BEFORE I see the movie, but since I don't have time to read right now, do you recommend I leave my husband home with the kids and go see Hunger Games by myself with a free movie ticket I have...even though I haven't read the books yet? Is it that much better at the theater or could I enjoy it just as much next year on Netflix? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not agree with you more about books and movies - so many of the ones you have read and watched I have simular opinions.

    I too read the Hunger Games books and on the weekend took my Hubby to watch the movie although he had not read the books.
    We both loved the movie - and he liked it so much that he actually might read the second book - this coming from someone who I have never in our time together seen read a book - it will be monumental - I wil document with photos.

    If you and your daughter liked Hunger Games - try Divergent by Veronica Roth - so good - I would go as far as saying almost better (but that is just me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more with the whole twilight teenager thought. My ONLY complaint about Hunger Games (and its minor because it was AWESOME) is that at the very end Katniss and Peeta looked quite healthy. Not near death like everyone else... it just kind of bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read the books

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny cause last night we went to Hunger Games and it was Regan's FIRST time EVER of having read a book and then gone to the movie about it. And he said to me well they left some stuff out. And my response was yes but for a movie from a book that was a good job! He didn't understand and then I explained about so many other good books = bad movies. It was a first for him.
    AND I didn't read the Hunger Games books forever for the EXACT reasons you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA I finally saw this last night with Erica. I saw this post, but after reading the title, refused to read it before I saw the movie as I was worried it would cloud my opinion. Now I see that I agreed with you completely and your hubby notsomuch.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was quite happy with how they pulled this book into a movie. I'm always so scared they'll wreck something I loved! This was good and like someone else mentioned, my husband actually liked it enough to want to read the books, and he is another non-reader. My mom is currently reading and I'm taking her to the movie when she's done - it's worth another viewing!

    ReplyDelete