Sunday, July 29, 2012

mid wasa update

I guess with four kids and only one grown up and no other human contact than with each other, it's inevitable that at some point there may be some contention.

I don't know about you but I long for a lack of contention SO HARD that it causes in me a level of anxiety that actually breeds contention. Which probably makes me a hypocrite? Or an enigma. Whatever it might be doesn't matter, because it makes me something and that something leaves a lot to be desired.

It's my own fault, really. And this trip confirms it. My kids are lazy, indoor kids. If I had to pick an analogy, and who doesn't love a good analogy, then I would pick the lazy, sleepy, purry indoor cat to the wild, energetic barn cat.

They would rather be inside, like me. I mean, I love camping and they would say they do too but lets face it, if I could sit and purr and snooze in the sun all day then I would much prefer that to entertaining myself endlessly in the forest.

I guess the apples don't fall too far...so to speak.

In a 9 day tenting, coolering, sleeping bagging, hard ground sleeping, reading (me trying), no tv'ing camping trip I would say it's fair to assume that the only grown up (me) is at some point going to want a break. But no break is to be had. Unless....

Unless I lose my patience and chastise the bickering children for two minutes too long and they all go away for 20 minutes leaving me to brood whilst reading the silliest book I have ever read.

Yes, I'm still talking about Outlander. I'd love to be done with it but the children.....

I'm tired.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that today was not such a great day. There was contention, a chastising mother, a back-talking 12 year old and some quiet time.

All in all we are doing well and having fun despite the fact I brought too much bread-like stuff and it's moulding. It's hot hot hot. And my lake hair is inexplicable.

And I won't even mention that Amelia's hair hasn't been brushed since Thursday........

Would we trade it for being lazy at home?

Nope. None of us would. And I know because I asked everyone if we should just pack up and go home.

So, here I sit on the beach. The children are frolicking in the lake. Contention spent and passed. This is what it's supposed to be like. I guess we all just forgot for a moment.

Hold up.....spoke too soon. The 12 year old is still on one.

I'm walking away...

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has their days... glad you are over yours.

    Enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete