Tuesday, July 24, 2012

tell me what to do, please

I feel like I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Today is the day we are supposed to go camping. The truck is fixed and sitting in my drive way. The food is bought and, except for the cooler, packed. Laundry is done. Everything is sitting by my front door waiting to be put in my truck. I am ready, I feel ready to go.

Almost.

There is just one thing, my iPhone crapped out last night. Took it's last breath. Died and won't take a charge. So now I have no access to the real world.

Did I ever tell you about the time I took four kids camping by myself and locked my sleeping baby in the truck with the a/c on while I ran down to the lake to tell my girlfriend something?

No? Well let me tell you, it was terrifying when I realized I couldn't get into the truck without the very keys that were keeping it running and cool, on the inside, with the doors locked.

It only took an hour, which is nothing short of a miracle, being so remote. I was running from one place to the next with my girlfriends cell phone trying to find help. A lovely man drove from Kimberely to help me and unlocked the truck. I waited, with a couple of rangers beside the truck ready to smash the window if the baby woke and became upset. She slept through the whole thing and didn't wake until I opened the door to grab her and squeeze the living daylights out of her. Tender mercies.

I cried a lot that day.

Anyway, without a cell phone, that situation would have been very hard to navigate.

Do I leave today and go camping with no access to help or to the man or to any of the things I love so much. My music, for the 4 hour drive. My email. My blogging. I fear my blog will die if I'm not there to feed it. My plan was to feed the beast via my iPhone.

No Instagram! This is truly a tragedy in the making, people.

Now what?

Am I being alarmist? Should I just go and pretend this is a time when single woman travelling with 4 children don't need a cell phone? There was a time such as that, I know there was but......

Or do I postpone it a day and try to get the phone situation sorted out?

Being out of touch with the man for 10 days makes me uneasy and driving through the mountains with no way of calling for help makes me nauseous.

It's just me and the kids. What if I get hurt, or sick? The kids are stranded trying to get help. If one of them gets hurt or sick I can get them to help but not having a cell, after I've had one for 10 years, leaves me a bit panicked.

Not to mention I got about 4 hours of sleep last night and my head is pounding. Making solving this problem more tedious.

I know, you're wondering why I'm not used to the headaches induced by insomnia. I'm wondering the same thing.

Well, now that I've written this all out I am thinking that today I will go get a new phone and leave tomorrow. I may sleep tonight and feel better about the whole thing if I plan for that.

What would you do?

7 comments:

  1. Girl, sounds like you need your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get a phone today - and then go!! It is worth the peace of mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no phone for 10 days? hell no

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without question you need to sort the phone situation out and leave tomorrow.I won't be able to sleep worrying about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, you need the phone and I give you full permission to go get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever watched the TV show "I shouldn't be alive"? All the tragedies start with someone not having a cell phone or people not knowing where this someone is. A lot could happen in 10 days, and having a phone really seems to me to be a necessity. And there's a good chance you're feeling so anxious for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not out to prove anything, not trying to live off the grid or demonstrate survival skills. You definitely need to have contact with the outside world in case of emergency. That is a basic need, not a luxury. I think you would be crazy to go without a cell phone!

    ReplyDelete