Wednesday, April 27, 2011

lugubrious

I learned a new word this week while reading one of the worst books I've ever willingly subjected myself to. Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood. What is wrong with that woman? She is so weird she is starting to really irritate me. Maybe she should retire.

I hope she doesn't read my blog.

Did you know that the word lugubrious means looking or sounding sad and dismal? Why would anyone use such a big word to describe sad? And the word dismal means depressing and dreary, which I already knew. So as I type this the world around me is dismal. But can it be lugubrious as well? Can the weather be that? Or just a person? How about a donkey?

Was Eyeore lugubrious? Or was he just depressed? Or dismal? I'm so confused.

My kids are home today and they've already been yelled at. It's 10:30 am. They are looking lugubrious. Was that redundant? Can you look lugubrious? Or does being lugubrious already imply the look part? Again, confused.

The phone rang and we couldn't find it. When I asked "where is the phone? And why am I the only one looking for it?" One of the lovelies responded with "we thought it was a rhetorical question."

How do they know what rhetorical means?

I recorded the Royal Wedding. I am slightly fascinated by this stuff. It has a whole train wreck quality that I, being a stay at home mom, am deeply attracted to. I would love to sit with sweet pretty Kate/Catherine or whatever her name is and ask her some questions. The first and most important being "Why on earth would you do this to yourself?" And "You remember Princess Di, right?"

As much of a gong show I think the royal family is, I just can't look away.

I realize that being married is an important facade that royalty deems appropriate for all their future throne-ies but why is it so hard for them to be married happily? The Queen has been married for eons but she's like the only one left. The rest of them are miserable at being married and they have nasty mean divorces.

Is there a word that describes being happily married for more than 5 minutes and also being royal?

I guess only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Atwood heads up. She is SO hit and miss for me. I absolutely LOVE a few and others I have to make myself finish (and sometimes can't even do that as it's torture).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lugubrious. You make me laugh lady!

    ReplyDelete